After a month of hard work, the Air King reigns again! And it was some serious work.
The bolts were initially rusted through so separating the fan cage from the motor and blades. When I finally got it off, it was worse than I could have imagined. Oily build up was up to 1/4 of an inch thick in some places!
But, when I finally got it off the blade and motor underneath were actually a lovely tan color. In fact, I didn’t even paint the blades. The color pictured below is what I found after scraping off all the grime.
I started off by taping and bagging stuff up that I didn’t want to get paint on. Luckily the pretty chrome strips on either side of it were removable so I had one less thing to worry about. I used electrical tape on the plastic Air King logo because it had a better grip than painters tape. I also used electrical tape and plastic shopping bags around the blades and areas of the motor I did not want to paint.
As you can probably see, I used spray paint. I ordered the paint on Amazon because I couldn’t find anything like it in stores. I ended up with Rust-Oleum’s Gloss Blue Sky. It was definitely a pain in the ass. I ended up using three cans of paint because of how much area I had to cover and the very thin coats I was forced to use to avoid bubbles.
After that I cleaned out the electrical box inside the fan. I used a can of spray air and pliers to adjust wires that were loose. I ended up just taping a ton of stuff in place and crossing my fingers that it would work, which was certainly nerve wracking after pouring hours of work into the thing.
And it did! It was all surprisingly very simple and straight forward. By golly, the thing diffuses air like it was built yesterday. And while it still weighs a good 40 pounds or more, I couldn’t be more happy to lug it into my window every morning.
And of course, the necessary before and after picture: