Tag Archives: restoration

Milk Crate Bookshelf

I recently completed a pretty easy project using some old milk crates I bought at a garage sale for four dollars each.

crates-968x1024

I didn’t take a proper before picture because I was too gung ho about getting started, but here they are after my initial spray of it. The blue splotches were my doing. The rest is the same as when I purchased them. I sprayed them down messily with two tones of blue spray paint left over from older projects, and two cans of white spray paint. Here is the result:

bookshelf

They didn’t seem very sturdy at first, so I twist-tied the shelves together and will likely screw them up against the wall once I find a permanent place for them.

Side note: I found this immensely stupid looking thing at a garage sale last week and had to buy it. Because what would a bookshelf be without a ceramic poodle wearing glasses from the 1950s?

DSC_3113-1024x683

Here’s a close up of the paint job on the back. You can see the original plastic color cracking through in the right corner. I painted over peeling paint from the last owner’s refinishing job to give it a bit more of a worn look when the paint inevitably came off.

DSC_3115-1024x683

Anyway, it was super easy project and pretty impossible to mess up. If you have extra spray cans lying around from old projects, this is definitely a project worth your while!

I am the Air King

DSC_2838-1024x683 (1)

After a month of hard work, the Air King reigns again! And it was some serious work.

The bolts were initially rusted through so separating the fan cage from the motor and blades. When I finally got it off, it was worse than I could have imagined. Oily build up was up to 1/4 of an inch thick in some places!

But, when I finally got it off the blade and motor underneath were actually a lovely tan color. In fact, I didn’t even paint the blades. The color pictured below is what I found after scraping off all the grime.

thingie-683x1024

I started off by taping and bagging stuff up that I didn’t want to get paint on. Luckily the pretty chrome strips on either side of it were removable so I had one less thing to worry about. I used electrical tape on the plastic Air King logo because it had a better grip than painters tape. I also used electrical tape and plastic shopping bags around the blades and areas of the motor I did not want to paint.

DSC_2826-1024x683

As you can probably see, I used spray paint. I ordered the paint on Amazon because I couldn’t find anything like it in stores. I ended up with Rust-Oleum’s Gloss Blue Sky. It was definitely a pain in the ass. I ended up using three cans of paint because of how much area I had to cover and the very thin coats I was forced to use to avoid bubbles.

After that I cleaned out the electrical box inside the fan. I used a can of spray air and pliers to adjust wires that were loose. I ended up just taping a ton of stuff in place and crossing my fingers that it would work, which was certainly nerve wracking after pouring hours of work into the thing.

And it did! It was all surprisingly very simple and straight forward. By golly, the thing diffuses air like it was built yesterday. And while it still weighs a good 40 pounds or more, I couldn’t be more happy to lug it into my window every morning.

beforeandafter-759x1024

And of course, the necessary before and after picture: